The Soap Maker's Journal

I did not intend for this to be a lab book for my soap making endeavors. Actually I only figured on making one batch of soap, but I found I enjoy it. Ok, this one is an experiment, tried using no scent, and tried using a red tea to color it. Unfortunately the lye turned it deep green then gold. Chemistry is funny that way. So I'll see what the end result looks like.

8 ounces canola oil
6.5 ounces corn oil
1 ounce castor oil (love those bubbles)
2 ounces lye
6 ounces tea

Notice there are no hard oils in there (lard, coconut, Crisco, palm). I was not sure how it would set up (in fact still not sure) but it went to trace without too much trouble. Hopefully it will set. Doesn't smell great, but not putrid either. So they can't all be raging successes.

2 comments:

Jeffry Byrd said...

Maybe try dumping a can of coke in there to make the soap caffeinated.

The Blahgger said...

They've got caffeinated soap out there, maybe I ought to try it.